Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Map block for Anne

Growing up, my father had a small airplane and he used to take us up in it. I always loved looking at the landscape and seeing how the different fields and farms looked like little contained boxes and were all different colors. Even though I didn't think of this as a typical map, I kept coming back to this idea, so I just went with it.

The blue is supposed to be a body of water and the rest are different "crops." There's a little sailor in there too. I have also been working on hexagons lately and decided it would be cute to throw them in as some little "landmark" or key code type things. There's a sail boat, an anchor, mushrooms, a bee, and a rooster (what farm is complete without a rooster?!).

































It isn't perfect and it certainly doesn't look like a typical map, but I hope Anne is happy with it anyway! :)

PS. My friend suggested I do a map of 1943 Europe and sent me this link as a guide. He wanted me to make sure I included every single arrow. I vetoed that idea, as you can see. A little too complicated for my taste. ;)

5 comments:

Kris said...

I love it! The hexes are the perfect touch!

Lula Dahl said...

Thanks!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

I have never made hexagons, so I can't tell you how excited I am to have a block with them. The sailor is perfect because we used to live on a sailboat and I love your idea of looking down from a plane. Thank you SO much!!!!

Hermione J. Schwartz said...

First, your friend obviously doesn't sew or quilt and may be certifibly crazy. That map would even be hard to embroider. Good veto. ;]

I love the story behind your map and your little landmarks are awesome. Great job! =]

Lula Dahl said...

Thanks, ladies! I'm so glad you like it, Anne. I was worried it wouldn't be mappy enough. That is awesome that you used to live on a boat! I'm so glad it ties into part of your life, how cool! :)

Adrienne, thank you! Don't worry, my friend was only kidding. He comes up with ridiculous ideas like it's his job. :)