Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How many ways can you make a block?

My name is Robin, and I am a procrastinator. But-- I got Adrienne's block done and sent off on time, so I don't feel too bad about it!

I've been enjoying reading how some others went about making their Hop, Skip, Jump-inspired blocks for Adrienne, and thought it would be fun to share yet another way one can go about it. This is how I did it:


First, I drew a 6.5" by 12" rectangle on freezer paper, subdivided it into wonky sections and numbered them.


I cut it all apart.


I ironed the freezer paper pieces to the right side of the fabrics and cut them out with 1/4" seam allowances. (Since she said she wouldn't mind, I also couldn't resist adding a couple of fabrics to the mix she sent).


I used a pin to help hold the pieces together at the top corner (because freezer paper is slippery), and then stitched the seam. I worked left-to-right.


Here it is all stitched together.


And here is the completed block, trimmed and ready to go!

This first month was a lot of fun-- I'm really looking forward to the months ahead! (I just got Chen's fabric for July... oooo...yummy!)

4 comments:

Kris said...

I love all these different ways of piecing, it's so helpful to see a bunch of ways to do things!!

Hermione J. Schwartz said...

Love it! The fabrics you added go with it perfectly. Thanks for the tutorial on your method. I can't wait to geth this block. Everything is coming together famously. =]

Zonnah said...

The fabrics do look really good together. I can't wait to see the quilt when it is done.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing how you put yours together! It looks great!
Anne