Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Method To My Madness

Do you really think wonky is my style? I don't think so :) This block was a big push for me and although I did not follow the path of a true wonkier (is that a word?), I think I did rather well. I like to plan everything in my blocks so I decided I would not do that when choosing which fabrics went where. I literally closed my eyes a just grabbed. The only fabric I kind of planed was the floral because I wanted it in the bigger spots so it would be dominant.

So now for the method:

I decided I would paper piece the block. Here is the telephone book paper.
block

Then since my paper was not 12 inches long I cut two 6.50 inch squares.
block

Then I made my pattern on the squares.
block

Here I am piecing it together.
block

Right after piecing.
block

Then I had to sew them together. I know looks crooked but I swear it will come out straight :).
block

Yeah! It's straight.
block

And the end result.
block

My only complaint was the orange fabric did not come up in the pile as much. Oh and don't let the pics deceive you, there was a lot of seams that got ripped out because I am not pro at lining fabric up :P

I had so much fun doing this block and cannot wait till next months block.

Zonnah

2 comments:

Hermione J. Schwartz said...

It's wonderful! I am so glad you shared how you put the block together. I am so scared of precise blocks, it's funny that wonky is scary for others. I can't wait to put all these beautiful, creative blocks together. =]

Kris said...

This is one of the most unique ways to do a wonky block, but I love the creative way to approach something new! I'm hoping to get to my block tomorrow :)