Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Midnight in the Garden

Alright ladies I'm sorry I'm behind! As previously mentioned my husband and I are in the middle of moving and I just haven't been able to get my fabrics organized and sent out sooner.





A field of flowers quilt, originally uploaded by filminthefridge.

The idea is relatively simple, although I am asking you to dip into your own personal stashes a bit to help me out. One of the things I've wanted to do for a long time is to redecorate our bedroom in deep purples and grassy greens and I thought a "garden quilt" would be a great complement to that scheme. Unfortunately I don't have enough different floral prints to make an interesting quilt so I'm hoping you will share some of yours. I'm going to be sending everyone about half a yard of "Thunder" Shot Cotton and ask that you each make a 16.5 in by 16.5 in block that contains 1-3 different flowers. The flowers can be any size but I ask that like the inspiration quilt above you cut close around the flowers to eliminate as much of the background pattern as possible. You can use whatever color or type of flower that you like as long as it coordinate with the purple. I also ask that you not center the flowers in the middle of the block as the idea is to create the impression of a random field of flowers.


Hope that makes sense! I'll include a diagram with your fabric which I plan on sending out today!

8 comments:

Kris said...

That sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing what I have!

Hermione J. Schwartz said...

Oh! I am excited, too. Purple is my favorite color. I can't wait to put a block together for you. =]

Anne at Film and Thread said...

That should be fun! It will be nice to see the personal touch from everyone's stash.

The Big Wheel said...

I love that shot cotton - I just got my package in the mail. I love this idea too. This one will be fun.

Tina

Shawn said...

Love your field of flowers quilt, it looks fresh and clean like snow!! Thanks for visiting me.

Julie said...

This is gorgeous - I have so many of these fabrics and hadn't thought of combining them, but yours is inspirational.

Stephanie Hughes said...

Love your midnight in the garden quilt. Good luck your move! I will follow you for more wonderful quilts.

Heather said...

Love this idea! Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll be sure to follow so I can see what's new. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for your kind comment. :o)